The Doncaster Council School Active Travel Awards celebrate schools and individuals working hard to increase walking, cycling and scooting, reducing the reliance on cars to travel to school and promoting greener and healthier lifestyles in the process.
These awards are organised as part of the Get Doncaster Moving project, working with Modeshift STARS. Modeshift STARS is the national schools awards scheme that has been established to recognise schools that have demonstrated excellence in supporting cycling, walking and other forms of sustainable travel.
The scheme encourages schools across the country to join in a major effort to increase levels of sustainable and active travel in order to improve the health and well-being of children and young people, leading to:
- Healthier lifestyles – encouraging people to get active through more walking and cycling, thereby creating healthier and more productive communities;
- Safer environment – helping you to identify and address travel and transport issues to enable safer journeys for all;
- Cleaner Air – reducing the number of vehicles and congestion around your site to improve the quality of air in your neighbourhood;
- Corporate Social Responsibility – ensuring you are a good neighbour that cares about the environment and your impact upon it;
- Saved time and money – Modeshift STARS saves time when writing a Travel Plan therefore reducing the costs of creating the document;
- National Accreditation – achieve national accreditation for your Travel Plan and be nominated for National Awards.
You can find out more about Modeshift STARS at https://www.modeshiftstars.org/